Thursday, March 3, 2011

Life With a Solid Foundation

An old Sunday School song I learned when I was little was "The Wise Man Built His House." It is based on Matthew 7: 24-27. I shortened it a bit, but this is how it goes:


The wise man built his house upon the rock
And the rain came tumbling down...
And the floods came up
And the wise man's house stood firm.

The foolish man built his house upon the sand
And the rain came tumbling down...
And the floods came up
And the foolish man's house went splat!

Build your house on the Lord Jesus Christ
And the blessings will come down
As your prayers go up
So Build your house on the Lord Jesus Christ.

When you are little it is honestly just a fun song to sing. I remember riding in the car with my cousin when we were little and singing it. I sang one of the lyrics wrong and she corrected me. Me being stubborn said that I DID sing it right and she had it wrong. I think we both ended up having the song backwards that day. Oops.

As an adult I look at the lyrics and see the meaning behind the words that I sang as a child. It is so easy to build life around yourself and THINGS: our homes, our jobs, our friends and family. I love all of the above, but I need to put God first. I am not saying it's okay to be lazy and just wait for God to rain down blessings. God gave us a brain. What I am saying is that a life built on your own makings, the sand, will fall apart in front of you. It will fall through the cracks just like sand running through your fingers. A life with solid foundation, the rock, will stand.
It won't necessarily be easy to keep your life on the rock and you may even feel some earthquakes. Choosing the "rock" doesn't guarantee a perfect life. 

The power of prayer and faith can bring more than you could ever create for yourself. Life on the solid foundation of God will come with its own trials and tribulations, but isn't it a wonderful feeling to know that you aren't on your own?


If you are interested in what I think is the "grown-up" version of this song, listen to American Dream by Casting Crowns.

No comments:

Post a Comment