Saturday, March 19, 2011

Aprons and Cooking

The women in my family cook A LOT. We have never been the tv dinner type of people. I am talking GOOD southern food like corn bread, country style ribs, cabbage, fresh peas, corn pudding, and anything else homemade you can think of. Don't get me started on the amazing desserts! Sometimes I am thankful for my food allergy, because if I didn't have it I would still be eating these wonderful desserts and probably be about 50 lbs. heavier. LOL. We don't eat like that all the time, but it is so good when we do. I guess you could say my comfort food is southern food... especially homemade mash potatoes :) yum.

My Nannie started giving me aprons a few years back. It has kind of become one of our "things." If they go somewhere I ask her to bring me back a pretty apron if she finds one. Sometimes they are so pretty I can't wear them to cook in... I'm scared to get it dirty!



I have grown to love cooking. With a food allergy I have to be creative, but I'm learning! When I  see a recipe I like, I take it and experiment with it and make it my own. My favorite things to make are desserts that I know I can eat. I really don't mind cooking things for people when I know I can't eat them. Sometimes people in my family feel bad if I can't eat the cake or casserole they made. I've reached the point that foods that I can't have may smell good, but I don't CRAVE them. Foods that have wheat in them make me so sick (side effects lasts for days and medicines do not work) that I have no desire to eat them or even "cheat". It would kind of be like the average person seeing something they want to eat, find out it has poison in it and STILL eat it. That would be insane.

The one thing I don't like to touch when cooking is raw chicken. I refuse to touch it without gloves! I have these pretty pink ones with polka dots. Everyone makes fun of me for it! I love to eat chicken, but there is something about how raw chicken looks that totally grosses me out if I have to touch it. I don't mind any other meats to cook with it, just chicken. One day I will deal with it, but at the moment I guess I'll just have to stick to my gloves and pretty aprons. Fiddle-dee-dee!

No comments:

Post a Comment