Thursday, March 24, 2011

Throwing a Hissy Fit

Yep, if you aren't from around these here parts you may not quite understand this sayin'. A hissy fit is not a temper tantrum. If it was a temper tantrum it would be called that. A hissy fit has its own level. I have been know in the past to throw one a time or two... okay, maybe more than that. Another way to describe this is, "she had a fit and fell in it." I know, it sounds kind of silly.

For those of you who don't know what a hissy fit is, let me put an image in your head. Imagine a child having a complete meltdown. You've seen these children in the grocery store. It is past their nap time, they are hungry, and mom is only on aisle 3 of 8 (her list is probably longer than her arm). Whining leads to crying and crying leads to the great meltdown. Brace yourself. Uncontrollable crying ensues and everyone stares. Some children hold their breath and others flat out scream. Some do that thing where their body gets really tense and bows up as they fall on the floor (quite entertaining as a spectator, mortifying for the parent -- just walk away!). As a younger child (-6 years), I didn't really do those these things. I, of course, had to put my own style on the hissy fit. My parents have told me that I would get so angry that they were preparing for my head to spin (imagine The Exorcist). This was usually due to me being extremely tired or hardheaded... maybe both. If I didn't stop the hissy fit I was threatened with a "bathroom trip" or the car being pulled over to have my leg fried. Heaven forbid! From what I have heard I would usually calm down, followed by snubbing/crying. While I don't remember these, I don't doubt that I did this. I was and still am pretty strong willed.


Source: Google Images
Don't judge her. She had a rough day. :)


Now, you won't actually catch me having a hissy fit. No adult should have one of these, even though I have witnessed quite a few. It is time to put on your big girl panties and get over it. Sadly, we all have to grow up at some time. LOL

You may catch me threatening to throw a hissy fit if I am really mad. I am only kidding!  I have really made an effort over the past couple of years to work on patience (that is almost a curse word to me). It wouldn't be a good idea to push me until the avalanche of fury explodes. Most of my friends have never seen me "ream [someone] a new one".... I guess that's a good thing. I have to remember that after all... tomorrow is another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment