Monday, March 28, 2011

It's Your Life... What Are You Going to DO?

Many of you know that one of my favorite songs is "It's Your Life" by Francesca Battistelli. One part of the song speaks to me particularly:

It’s your life
What you gonna do?
The world is watching you
Every day the choices you make
Say what you are and who
Your heart beats for
It’s an open door
It’s your life

Whether we like it or not, everyone really is watching you (that sounds a tad stalkerish -- sorry). It may not be an  intentional observation, but between family, friends, and coworkers you have a lot of eyes on you. I grew up in a smaller town and I was always scared that if I put one toe out of line the town would know it before I did. Don't get me wrong, I love my town but that's just how life works sometimes. And, I wouldn't change it for the world.

Choices reflect who you are. Your character, decisions, and behavior all reflect who you. I realized this at a young age and decided that the way I wanted to appear to others better show through my actions and choices. I am not perfect by any means and no one else is either. Please keep in mind that if you don't want to to be seen as ____ don't act like _____. Sigues?

There is a path in front of you. What are you going to decide?


With social media networks like Facebook and Twitter, it is easy to forget that you are spreading your information around for all to see. Yes, you can have privacy settings. I have mine on what I call "lock down," because I had strange people requesting to be my friend. Guess what? If someone wants to see your information and their friend, Sally Jo, is friends with you, all they have to do is ask Sally Jo to keep them updated. Kind of scary, right? What if a prospective employer also finds a way to see what is on your site? It would really suck if you didn't get hired, because of those pictures of you doing God-only-knows-what last Friday night.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, be careful of the image you project. Don't walk on egg shells all the time (that would bore me out of my mind), but be ready to take responsibility for the result(s) of those actions, good or bad. Complacency won't make you happy, but having a good reputation can add to your happiness.

As a Christian, remember that choices reflect who you are on an even bigger basis. In a later post I talked about how you may be the only Jesus someone will ever know. Do your choices show that you are a child of God or are you all talk and no walk?

No comments:

Post a Comment