Monday, February 28, 2011

Belles and Beaus Etiquette Class

When I was little I was enrolled in an etiquette class called Belles and Beaus. Let me tell you, I wasn't really happy about it.

etiquette (ˈɛtɪˌkɛt) - the customs or rules governing behavior regarded as correct or acceptable in social or official life.

A true Southern Belle knows how to keep a conversation going, know how to set a table, which fork to use, how to serve tea, and when to keep their mouth shut. I really needed help with the mouth part! I was more mouthy than sassy, which often resulted in severe eye rolling or leg popping.

I also recall being tied to the chair in this class. Seriously. It wasn't tight, but it was to teach us to sit up straight at the table and not to eat like a plow hand. After all of this I was allowed to invite a guest to my "graduation." I chose my Nannie and I was rewarded for my efforts in the class with a tea set (and a pickle ornament which is an inside joke). I still have this tea set on display in my room.

Oh, the things I learned. Now, if I am at a dinner party I don't feel uncomfortable if there is more than 4 pieces of silverware at my table setting. I can also tell you who has no idea which fork to use! The key to any social event, even day to day life, is to approach it with confidence. Look others in the eye at all times when speaking to them or being spoken to. LAZY MABLE, STRONG AND ABLE, GET YOUR ELBOWS OFF THE TABLE. Please chew with your mouth shut. As said in "Miss Congeniality," no one likes to see the "half-masticated cow rolling around in your wide-open trap." Last but not least, shoulders back! (Which I still struggle with. UGH).

While Belles and Beaus class was not one of my favorite things at the time, I'm grateful that I attended. The knowledge has helped me approach situations everyday with what I think is an advantage. It definitely was beneficial and I would recommend it to others who have little people!

3 comments:

  1. "half-masticated cow rolling around in your wide-open trap" -- Miss Congeniality

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew that... I don't know why I wrote that. haha. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are truly one of a kind! I am so proud of you and love very much!

    ReplyDelete