Monday, April 4, 2011

Jerk a Knot in It

As far as I know "jerk a knot in it" is a Southern phrase. You can either be told to do this or have it done to you.

For example, this phrase can be used as an early warning system. If I was told as a child to jerk a knot in it, this generally meant that I had better straighten up or reap the consequences. When my cousin was little my Nannie had a spatula in the drawer by the stove. It had a smiley face on one side and a sad face on the other. She would tell her that young ladies behave and that she was going to jerk a knot in her if she didn't behave. You can imagine which side of the spoon she would get if my Nannie had ever used it for more than stirring grits (or course this was more playful banter than actual threat). See below for more consequences.

I wonder if it would really leave a smiley face print?


If this phrase is used as a verb it can likely result in having your hide torn up. It would go about like this, "You are on strike three. Don't make me jerk a knot in you." Panic begins to set in... you have really done it this time. Don't even try to run, because you can't outrun an angry Southern woman (my Nannie chased me through the backyard one time when I ran away from her -- it was more fun then anger!). You may even have to pick out your own switch to have your leg fried with. Or, the nearest object may be grabbed instead... something along the lines of a spatula, a flip flop, a fly swatter, and the list goes on. Feel free to tell me any other ones you can think of. If you were being smart mouthed you could even get your mouth washed out with soap or hot sauce. I never got hot sauce, but I did experience the soap a time or two. Not pleasant.

I have to put this in just for those of you who are horrified after reading this. This is not abusive if handled the right way. Obviously I was not traumatized by this since I am joking about it now. Now a days we all just tease about it. I didn't really experience much of this, because I was horrified at the very idea of having a knot jerked in me. Of course I would push my limits as far as I could, but I usually sat in time out and looked at that hateful wallpaper for what felt like hours (nice visual image, right). On rare occasions I may have had those DREADED words spoken to me: I'm disappointed in you. I still hate hearing that phrase directed to ANYONE! That would tear me apart. You can also be threatened to have a knot jerked in you if you are having a hissy fit. This is not a pretty combination.

This phrase may sound kind of odd, but it's just another one of those Southern thangs.



Source: Google Images

No comments:

Post a Comment