Monday, April 18, 2011

Content on the Coast

I have to say that one of my favorite places in the world is a North Carolina beach. I will go in a moments notice during any season. I don't like a beach that has a hundred people on it, though. I like to look down the shore and only see a few people... or maybe no one. It gives a sense of ownership, as if I don't have to share the beauty with anyone.



There is something special about the salt air coming off the ocean. The ocean is healing, both mentally and physically. The wind in your hair and toes scrunched in the sand, there's no other feeling like it. Just sit back and breathe.



Take the time to find a quiet beach to take a vacation. Then try something for me: leave the computer at home, turn off the cell phone (only for emergencies), unplug the television, put away the iPod, and park the car for the weekend. We get so wrapped up in our fast paced society that we lose sight of the beautiful things around us. When someone doesn't pick the phone up nowadays we keep calling until they answer. I remember the time of not having cell phones and no one panicked. I don't have a cell phone with email on it because I don't want people asking me why I didn't respond to the message they sent me.

I refuse to let my life revolve around other people ALL the time. The world has become so used to instant gratification that it is becoming a problem... almost an addiction. A click here and there and our emails, messages, and phone calls are taken care of. I'm not against technology, I just like to be able to step back and take a break from it all. The beach is the perfect place for this escape.



In the morning, get up early enough to watch the sunrise. Well worth the early hour, trust me! During the day, nap on the beach and listen to the sound of the salt water crashing in waves against the beach... it is like nature's lullaby. When the day comes to a close, sit back and watch the sunset. The fire in the sky is a wonderful sight, because I know that the next night I will see another one of a kind masterpiece from God's paintbrush.

My favorite thing to do at the beach is to look at the stars and the ocean by moonlight. I like to take out a blanket and sit in a rocking chair to watch them sparkle like glitter in the sky. If you're lucky you may see a shooting star... wish for a little more time in paradise. :-)

1 comment:

  1. oh yes! This was the post I saw but was "too busy" - at the time - to fully enjoy! Elizabeth and I had just returned from the coast when you headed that why in this blog. Great pics! Thank you for the reminders of "nature's lullaby."

    ReplyDelete