Tuesday, April 12, 2011

For the Love of G.G. Music

My great grandmother, Ina Mae, was the quintessential southern lady. When I was born she wanted me to call her "Great Grandmother." It came out as G.G. As the first great-grandchild I had the naming rights. :)

G.G. loved classical music. Love isn't strong enough, she ADORED classical music. A very talented pianist, she dreamed of going to Juilliard. She grew up on a gorgeous farm that she called the "Homeplace" and was one of many children. She was actually accepted to Juilliard, but could not afford to attend school there with so many children in the family. Instead she decided to attend Meredith College where she graduated in 1936. I will graduate from the same school 77 years after she did. It kind of blows my mind!

As a child going to G.G.'s house there was always classical music playing. On days she was feeling spunky she played it so loudly that you could hear it before you even entered the house. It was always on in at least three rooms of the house so you could hear it in every other room. I never questioned it being on all the time. If it was off when I came into the house I would go over to the little radio in the kitchen and turn it on. The house just didn't seem right if it was off. I would dance and pretend I was a ballerina when no one was watching (which I'm sure they were). I also loved to lay on the couch and just listen to the music flow out of the radio.

G.G. taught me the love of hearing a live symphony. She was a donor to the North Carolina Symphony and would attend as many of their concerts as she could. This love also transferred to me. I really like to go hear the symphony on their open rehearsal days. I could sit there for hours and just listen... maybe take a little work so I can try to be a little productive!

She was the only person I knew who listened to this kind of music, so I called it "G.G. Music." I didn't realize until later in my childhood (elementary school) that it actually had a name -- classical music. The love of this music transferred to me through ballet and tap and eventually playing the violin. Music is such a big part of me.

When G.G. had to move from her house to assisted living I refused to go inside the house. I sat in the car and watched people move her things out, tossing things in the dumpster or into a moving van. That house held so many memories and I didn't want to see it empty and destroy the happy images.

I used to go visit G.G. every Sunday after church to take her a biscuit and talk with her. Sunday's were our time to visit. Towards the end of her life I remember walking into her room and realizing her classical music wasn't on. I tried to cheer her up and turn the music on when I heard her say softly, "Off." I turned it off and went closer to hear what she had to say. I was very confused as to why she didn't want it on so I questioned her. I will never forget the sadness in her eyes were and the way her little wrinkled face frowned. G.G. told me that she didn't like to listen to it anymore... it no longer made her happy. I was speechless and changed the subject. When I left her that day I got in my car and fell apart. The music that I had associated my entire life with making my grandmother happy now saddened her. I just couldn't understand... it was almost like the music had died in her. I couldn't listen to it for a while without getting upset.

Sometimes, now, when I am in the car by myself I will turn on the local classical station and listen to the music as I drive. It helps me think of her and how much I still love classical music. I get lost listening to it. I listen to all kinds of music, but no other kind of music can make me feel the way classical does. Classical music makes your imagination come alive. You can make what you want out of the music. It's kind of like reading a book vs. watching the movie. The movie NEVER turns out the way you want it to. The characters aren't the way you imagined them, the lines are worded terribly, and you can't stand the director's way of using his "artistic drive." With classical music, no one is wrong in how they interpret the feeling of the music. You can let it lead you... it sweeps you away.

Classical music transfers me to what feels like another time. It is like breathing art... take the time to sit back and listen every once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment