Monday, November 7, 2011

Let Go and Let God

Since beginning college, my faith has become stronger. My Sunday School class and I have talked about how when people go off to college it is almost as if the church expects them to wander away from faith and come back "when they're ready." This makes me frustrated. What if when we plan on being ready comes after the time that God is ready? College kids aren't perfect, but no one is. Yes mistakes are made, but age shouldn't be an excuse when it comes to faith.

When I got to college I absolutely loved it... I still do. Freshman year I was blessed with a roommate that was very much like me and she shared my Christian faith. The housing office didn't pick her... God did. We hit it off right away and are still friends. Having a friend at school to discuss prayer concerns and other faith matters kept me grounded and helped me explore my faith a little more. I started going to Campus Crusade my sophomore year and was annoyed with myself that I hadn't started going my freshman year! I absolutely love getting together with this group on Thursday nights to worship with people my own age. Along with other things going on in my life I realized I didn't like where I was in my faith. I wanted to have a stronger connection to God.

This is a wild example, but the only way I can think to describe the way my faith used to be...

Imagine you are afraid of heights, but for some reason you are about to go bungee jumping off the highest bridge in the world. The man straps you into your safety gear and ties the rope onto you. Your thoughts take over: The rope could come loose! I may hit something and break bones in my body! What if I drown in the river? You begin to panic and just can't do it. You physically can't make yourself get up onto that ledge and jump. This is kind of like the type of Christian I was a few years ago. I felt like I was strong in my faith, but when it really came time to fully trust God I couldn't let go of everything (see Matthew 14: 22-33).



Now imagine this...

You are back at that bridge for round gazillion and two. The weather may be a little different and you are a little older, but you are at the gate of another problem. Something feels different today, though. You wave aside the safety ropes the man is holding and with with a running leap you jump off the bridge into faith (please keep in mind this a FAITH example... don't try this on an actual bridge!). This is the kind of faith I strive for everyday -- leaping to God trusting that He can handle my all. God is there waiting at every turn before I get there and I can't let fear plague my every move.

"You have searched me, Lord, and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar in all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you, Lord, know it completely .... Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there you hand will guide me, your hand will hold me fast."
 Psalm 139: 1-4 & 7-10

Do I "let go and let God" every time I struggle? No. Am I a perfect person? No, there is no such thing. Perfection and hesitation are my enemies. I am so much better about letting go to God than I was just a year ago, though. The thing is, God knows I am not perfect and He loves me anyway. He loves you too... get ready to jump into a faith with God! You have to give Him your all.

No comments:

Post a Comment