Tuesday, October 25, 2011

My Meredith Onyx

I have a beautiful black, shiny Meredith College Onyx on my finger. I have made it through classes I thought I would die in to be able to wear this ring. My G.G. and my mama attended Meredith, but neither of them had an Onyx. I keep staring at my ring amazed that I actually have one. It is a blessing to have one in more than one way just to have one.

To be honest, I didn’t want an Onyx when I came to Meredith, tradition or not. I know this may seem surprising! I didn’t understand the significance of the Meredith class ring. Over my freshman and sophomore years I watched my Big Sis’ and other friends work towards earning their class ring. I began to realize that I did want the Meredith Onyx on my finger.


I can't wait until that first time when I hear someone say, "You're a Meredith girl" -- just by seeing my ring. It will be nice for someone to see that I am a "MCG" without seeing a bumper sticker on my car or a sweatshirt.


My roommate from freshman year and I got ready together. It was fun hanging out since we don't see each other often. It's funny how far we have come in just the two years of knowing each other! The whole hall was decorated so nicely and I loved the centerpieces on the tables. All of the food was delicious and amazingly it was wheat free! It was so nice to walk out of an event NOT feeling sick!








It felt like it took forever, but after the new president Jo Allen and vice president Jean Jackson spoke we finally got to put on our rings! It was so exciting!!! There were squeals of excitement and laughter all around the room. Of course it was then time for pictures and everyone ran around to find friends to take pictures.



To my surprise I turned around an saw my Big Sis' who graduated last May standing there. I was already extremely happy to have my Onyx on my hand, but I was pleasantly shocked to see her. Many of you who know me know that I rarely cry... well I did. They were happy tears, though!




Meredith helps women improve their strengths and skills to become remarkable women in the world. To the network of people associated with this college, the Onyx shows the laughter, the tears, the late nights, the traditions, the projects, the relationships, and most of all the growth of a Meredith graduate. The onyx is a wonderful symbol of that journey. I am so happy to finally have my own Meredith Onyx on my hand!

No comments:

Post a Comment