Monday, May 9, 2011

A Season for Changes

As my sophomore year of college comes to a close I have thought about all I have done in these past 9 months of classes... more than I ever thought I would.  If you asked me this time last year what I thought I would have done, I wouldn't have had a clue!

I have learned to handle class loads that I thought were impossible and worked my hardest to gain respect from those who judged me as young and not able -- proved them wrong. I have grown closer in my relationship with Christ and worked on that little thing called trust. I have gone to another country with a group I hardly knew and worked with some of the most humble people. I have learned that I actually really like research (I am probably 1/385,290,117 who does). I get a little thrill from receiving that excellent score after spending weeks grasping at straws with lack of sleep (I know, nerdy). I found out that sometimes it is okay to bomb a test - no one is perfect. Surviving on 3 hours of sleep, often, IS possible. I have met some great people through Campus Crusade and learned how to shag (before you freak out, the Carolina version is dancing). Greek food is something I now adore and I really dislike papaya... never again (the one thing in Belize I didn't like). I still haven't figured out that I can't drink caffeine...

In cleaning out a drawer last week I found a piece of paper I had ripped out of a magazine almost two years ago. The paper is creased and faded, but the words really speak to me:

I've come to realize that just as seasons come and go, the flowers bloom, and the leaves change, the landscapes of our lives are constantly changing. Just like nature, life has seasons. Some are bright and cheerful and bring so much joy laughter, you wish they'd stay forever. Some are just dull spots. Some are long, hard, and painful. We all go through these different seasons, and as I look back on the good ones and the tough ones in my life, I realize they have all been important. Many have been life changing; all have shaped who I am. I am happy to have experienced them all.... Find a reason to smile everyday, no matter what, because we've got so much to be thankful for.
Paul Deen, Cooking with Paula Deen, Sept./Oct. 2009

Hey y'all, there is more to life than "just add butter." Imagine that... ;-)

Sometimes I feel like I am walking a tight rope blindfolded. Do I lean left or right? How much farther can I go? How much can I juggle as I balance? As the fear tries to swallow me up I feel that familiar hand gently steady me on the rope and guide me. I don't need to keep all the worries to myself, because He knows them before I do. So, finish your tight rope walk with a smile and a ta-dah, but don't forget to give Him the glory!

So, my smile today is a smile of contentment, because I have crossed the tight rope once again. I am thankful for His presence as it never leaves my side. This feeling of elation with the semester being over will fade, but hey, life has it seasons and God has a plan. I can't wait to see what He has planned for me soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment