Thursday, May 26, 2011

Little Life, Strong Faith

Some of you may remember what I shared last December about a little girl named Riley who had cancer and all she wanted for her birthday was to have cards mailed to her.

I signed up to get messages for when her family puts up an update on her CarePage. It may seem a little weird to some of you, but I really looked forward to getting that message in my inbox saying "Update." Sadly, yesterday Riley died after living with cancer for 5 years. This little girl was pretty amazing. Her faith in God never waivered and the family was so strong through it all. I wanted to share with you something Riley's mother wrote back in October:

I was bathing the children Saturday night and Ella said, “I sure hope this treatment works for Riley because if it doesn’t you know what will happen…” I then said, “I sure hope it works too.” And Riley responded quickly, “Well, either way it will be good.” When I asked Riley what she meant she replied, “Well, Isn’t Heaven good?”
Pause and let that soak in: either way it will be good. Her faith and trust just awed me. I have a very strong faith, but I don't know how I would have reacted at her age. Of course Riley wanted to get better, but she knew that what waited for her after death was just as wonderful, more so.

Below is part of the update from yesterday...
"Into His Arms"

Riley woke this morning feeling good. She had a great morning at home with her mom and grandparents who are visiting. She encouraged Kirk to go to work. At approximately 1:30 this afternoon, Riley got up and moved toward Kelly with her arms raised. As Kelly lifted her up, Riley moved from Kelly's arms into His open arms.

We are grateful that Riley passed from this earth without pain and suffering.

At approximately 6:30 p.m. this evening, Riley's grandfather (Kelly's Dad) joined Riley in Heaven. Kelly was able to speak to her Dad and let him know that she loved him before he passed away. We know that Riley was there to lead her grandfather on His path.

Details for Riley's memorial service and funeral will be posted once they have been finalized. We thank you for your continued prayers.

"Let not your hearts be troubled; believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And when I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am, you may be also. And you know the way where I am going." Thomas said to him, "Lord, we do not know where you are going; how can we know the way?" Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me." John 14: 1-6.

God never promised that life was fair. People are going to die before we feel like it is their time, but God has a plan. At first this doesn't make the pain feel any less, but hopefully along the line you will come to realize they are in a better place. Riley had a short life walk of only 10 year, but what a life! Through all the updates on her CarePage you could see that she lived every day as fully as she could. She made an impact on me and she didn't even know me. What a blessing Riley was to those in her life!


(Old video of her, but check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edDav02OXxQ)

No comments:

Post a Comment